Starting an online business is the dream of many. This is understandable given the many benefits an online business offers. However attractive the prospects may seem, owning an online business is not so simple a process. What steps should you take should you want to venture into this global playing field? Here is a guide by Business Consultant, Mr. Oluwaseyi Adepoju (@oluseyi_adepoju) and I will publish in 3 posts.
Common mistakes to avoid in starting up an online business
- Waiting too long to launch your product or service, it's easy to get lost for months or years without ever offering something for sale, When you start blogging or podcasting to build an audience. Because you are waiting for some magic audience size or some people simply talk themselves out of creating a product because they're afraid no one will buy it. They don't want to fail after putting in so much time creating content.
- If the problem your business solves is important enough, you won't even have to look for customers. Imagine if you had a cure for cancer, for example. Don't get trapped into solving an unimportant problem.
- Don't just listen to the customers who provide validation. Listen to the ones who ask for refunds or buy your product but don't use it. Listen to the people who tell you they won't buy, and find out why.
- Don't copy, stand out! You can't expect to grow an audience by being an inferior version of some other better known site. Even if your site or product is arguably better than the competition, "better" is subjective.
- Choose a cause you care about: Whatever you choose to focus your business on, you're going to need deep subject knowledge, fresh creativity, and unwavering stamina to stand the test of time.
- Don't expect too much, but only expect result equal to your input: building the business could be harder and more stressful than your current job?
- Say less & Act more "Action calls the shot in business"
- Don't stand alone; the more connected you become with other entrepreneurs, the more normal your quest becomes. You'll no longer feel crazy or alone, and you'll realize that we all face obstacles just like you're facing.
- Don't confuse your blog for business "Even though we have Nigerians making money of blogging like linda ikeji & co" publishing free content isn't a business. It's a tool for building influence.
These processes are a blueprint to venturing into online business. Follow them, and sail effortlessly into the world of online business & if you are lost at any stage contact me @oluseyi_adepoju and we could paddle the sea together.