Have you been battling with any form of addiction especially drugs? Do you know anyone in need of cure to addiction? Do read this and act immediately.
|With the Convener of the BCP Conference, Coach Sam Obafemi taken in 2017|
There is no one who is drawn perpetually to a behaviour, substance, vice or conduct from which they do not benefit something. It is either hormonal (that feeling of relief, fulfillment, satisfaction or pleasure), financial, or any other material gain.
ADDICTION IS COMPLETELY LINKED TO DOPAMINE, the hormone that makes you WANT MORE.
This is why as therapists, we try to understand what addicts go through. What we do in our work include:
- Helping the individual become AWARE of what they are dealing with. Both current and future implications.
- Accommodating the tendencies of the individual WITHOUT indulging the behaviour.
- Acknowledging the realities of what has brought the individual to that point and helping this person know that
THERE IS NO HURRY TO BE REHABILITATED BUT THERE IS NEED TO BE WILLING TO BE REHABILITATED.
All Addictions are a Brain Disease. It changes the structure of the brain and makes the brain want more so as to maintain the ‘feel good’ experience.
The solutions for all addictions are embedded in:
- Biological methods: understanding how these addictions can affect the body.
- Behavioural methods: understanding that what you expose yourself to, people, events, and scenarios, largely influence your resolve to break off from the patterns.
- Spiritual methods: there is a limit to what your will can achieve and we as therapists recognize the ‘hand of God’ in absolute rehabilitation.
- Material/Physical methods: choosing to abstain from substances and any indices that trigger the appetite to indulge.
EVERY ADDICTION, NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU REFRAIN FROM IT, CAN BE RE-INTRODUCED WITH JUST ONE SLIP. This is what we call RELAPSE.
Addiction is easy to enter BUT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to desist from. It’s better told than experienced.
Do you want more information about this? Please follow our social media handle @BCPConf2018 on Twitter and Instagram for daily updates and mind boggling revelations.
IF THIS MESSAGE MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU LOVE.
Remember to tell someone to register for the upcoming Behavioural Change Practitioners (BCP) Conference holding in 27 days time. Tell them to click www.bcpconference.org for more details or view the updated conference poster attached in this email.
Coach Sam Obafemi